Thursday, February 12, 2009

What happens if I get well too soon?

I went to my first meeting with "Steve," my physical therapist, yesterday.

Of course I've been getting PT the whole time, first at home, and then, last week, an "evaluation" by the supervisor at the local hospital's therapy shop. All these people told me that I was getting well at a surprisingly fast rate, measured by the range of motion in the new knee. I can walk up and down stairs alternating legs (unlike my previous one-step-at-a-time pace like a two-year-old), I can use the stationery bicycle. And so forth.

Steve seemed disconcerted by all this. I shouldn't "overdo," according to him. All I can think is that he's assuming that my rapid progress is the result of pushing too hard on the exercises. Actually, I'm just doing what I was told, and I'm at something of a loss to explain the speed of recovery.

On the other hand, I'm not inclined to look this particular gift horse in the mouth.

As for being painful, rehab is not as yet living up to its ferociously bad advance billing. Steve does a nice massage, but neither Steve nor the exercises are particularly painful. For those of you who haven't had this surgery, the exercises are like yoga, where you're stretching to loosen up a joint. You get to the point of a stretch, but if it hurts you're going too far.

Everyone said to me, "Take the pain pills, do the exercises," and I'm on Vicodin during the days (having downshifted from Percocet) and I'm doing the exercises.

I found Steve rather discouraging on the whole. I need to remember that he can say whatever he wants, but as a practical matter he can't really retard my recovery (even if I'm sensing that, rather illogically, he'd like to). Perhaps he's just feeling unnecessary.

12 comments:

  1. well, I guess this answers my email questions. You are dong "swimmingly" (another odd expression, it would seem, unless you are a fish). Congratulations on your speedy recovery. If you are not in fact overdoing it, what's the problem ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would be "doing" not "dong"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what the problem is, except that maybe he thinks if I get well so fast I won't need him.

    I already don't need him, and I've written a note to his supervisor asking for a different assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what reason did you give (if any) ? not I suppose that you really need a reason other than it's what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said that he (1) seemed unhappy that I am getting well so fast, (2) told me not to do the exercise that the supervisor told last week to concentrate on, (3) refuses to instruct me, as the supervisor requested, on the use of equipment at my own gym, (4) doesn't treat me as an individual, and (5)has a negative attitude. And that seeing him depresses me, which I don't need.

    If he succeeds - which he will not - in retarding my recovery, perhaps I will need even more PT. (I didn't say that.)

    I'm hoping that they are grownups over there, and realize that not every professional can work with every client, however excellent the professional may be. I'm sure he's a great therapist for someone else, just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. agreed. let's hope for grown-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Hope" is not really an issue here.

    They can't force me to see someone I can't work with.

    There are lots of physical therapists in this world, and I can always take my prescription elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, I am sure you can, but I was thinking more in the realm of hoping it will have a peaceful resolution so that you needn't be disturbed by their response. Seems like a reassignment shouldn't be all that difficult to provide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In retrospect,what did you mean then when you said "I'm hoping that they are grown-ups over there." ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. And let me guess: he's about the age of your grandchildren???
    Sounds pretty immature to me and I wouldn't want him working on me either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bridget!

    Update: I complained, and the supervisor evaluated me again, told me I'm nearly finished, gave me a few more exercises, and told me to come back next month, when they'll probably discharge me. We're done here, in other words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's hear it for speedy recovery !

    ReplyDelete